Wednesday, January 6, 2010

Contacting Nels

It's very important that we stay in contact with each other throughout the course. If problems arise or you ever have any questions or concerns, you have to let me know as soon as possible. Luckily, there are lots of ways to contact me.

1) The best way to reach me is to email me. I love email because it creates a clear record of our conversation that we can refer back to later. I'm sure you, like me, have a lot going on in your life, so being able to go back and check what we talked about after the fact is very useful.  NB: If you use your UHartford email, you should be checking your spam folder to make sure you are getting all messages from me

2) Come by my office (Auerbach 212B) and see me. As stated on the syllabus, my office hours are from 12:30 to 1:20 and 4:10-5:30 on Mondays and Wednesdays and 1:00 to 3:00 on Fridays.  If you're in the area during those times, drop by. I do recommend that, when possible, you set up a time to meet by email or when you see me in class because I do have various meetings on and off campus. I am in and out of the office a lot, but we should be able to make a time to meet easily. It's great to meet face-to-face to go over drafts of your formal assignments, my comments on graded versions, or anything we need to talk about in detail.

3) You can send messages or post on my wall on Facebook. I never add students as friends first (because I know you may want to keep some things private), but if you add me as a friend, I will confirm it. Then, you can contact me on there. Know that I get notification of all Facebook messages and wall posts by email, so email is still the quickest way to get to me, but Facebook will work.

4.) Instant message me if you have Gmail or are on Facebook. When I'm logged into email or Facebook, you can message me, which is great for a quick question. Many times, especially when I'm home outside office hours, I'm just jumping on and off quickly, or I'm logged in but away from the computer, so I may not respond or may have to leave quickly. But this can work for a quick question or if you want to make sure I'm in my office if you are hoping to stop by.

5) Comment here on the blog. If you have a question you can ask publicly about something in a post on here, feel free to leave a comment. I'll respond when I get it. Like Facebook, though, I get email notifications of comments first, so that is quicker, but I will read all comments posted to this blog.

Like I said, stay in touch and let me know whatever it is you think I need to know thoughout the semester. And let's talk whenever you have any concern in mind.

No comments:

Post a Comment