Sunday, May 9, 2010

What My Students Learned This Semester

Taking inspiration from Jo(e), I passed out index cards and asked my students to write down one thing they learned in class this semester.  These are the anonymous responses I received in the order in which I received them.

I learned that I am more radical than I previously thought.

I learned what To Write Love on Her Arms is. I also learned what kinds of issues my classmates are interested in.

I learned how to write a memo correctly!

I learned how to write an effective proposal.  And I can add it to my portfolio.  Yay!!

I learned how to do InDesign, which is really amazing because it will help me in future projects in school or jobs.

I learned in this class that I will never, ever, ever, have an abortion.  I always will consider myself as pro-choice.  However, I would be be able to, not even if it was rape.  I wouldn't take the morning after pill.

I learned how to give A LOT more detail in writing.  I know that I am a good writer, but I coast on my already handy skills.  However, now I feel like I'm more capable of writing better.

I learned how to use InDesign, which was awesome.  Before this class, I didn't even know what InDesign was.  Now I am going to see if I can download it and get even more familiar.

I learned how to write a grant, which I hope will land me a job.  I also learned new perspectives on life (Our Bodies, Ourselves; Notorious HIV, etc.).

I learned more about the female body that I thought I ever needed to know.  Reading The Vagina Monologues was a lot of fun, and I never would have read it otherwise.  Learned about layers in InDesign.

How to write a memo, kind of.

The one thing I learned this semester is how to turn an Adobe project into a PDF.

I learned more about sexuality.  Actually, through research for our projects, I learned more about bisexuals and bisexuality.

Rob Reiner is a feminist.  How to create backgrounds in Adobe InDesign.

No comments:

Post a Comment